When you buy a product from Love Welcomes, you’re not only providing a refugee with a sense of purpose and dignity, you’re also supporting a family in their time of greatest need. Our goal is to raise awareness of the irreplaceable value of a loving welcome; something that everyone needs, especially those looking for a home.
Launched in 2017 Love Welcomes was created in response to the refugee crisis in Greece. The idea was for women living in refugee camps to weave welcome mats from life vests as a way to generate income for themselves.
A small team travelled to Greece in 2017 to teach a group of women how to weave welcome mats and Love Welcomes began. The women of the camp, Becca Stevens and Abi Hewitt are all Co-Founders of LoveWelcomes, it was a truly collaborative effort.
We’re excited to witness real stories of real lives being changed as a result of our supporters shopping online at Love Welcomes. As of January 2019:
- 40 women currently have jobs, enabling them to support themselves and their families.
- 72 women in total have been employed since the beginning of the project.
- 23 former Love Welcomes weavers have been permanently relocated across Europe with employable weaving and sewing skills.
- 15,000 seats on buses to Athens have been provided to the whole community. This means the community has had access to key services including lawyers, food markets, dentists and important supplies.
- 8 new micro businesses have begun in the camp as a result of having access to markets and supplies.
- More than 5,000 mats have been created for sale.
- Another 6 new products have been added and additional training has been provided.
- There are plans for another 5 new products in the coming months.
This is just the beginning.
We can’t stop the refugee crisis that has forced millions of men, women and children to flee their homes out of fear for their lives. But we’re not helpless either. We can help some of those who arrive in Greece to weave a better future for themselves and their families – futures full of hope and purpose.
So each time you buy something from Love Welcomes, you’re supporting a refugee and her family as they begin to rebuild lives shattered by war, one stitch at a time.